Rick Sabine
Rick Sabine
5:30am - 10:00am
Rick Sabine in the Mornings
Request A Song
My Profile
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Subscribe To This Feed

Six Flags Power Outage Shuts Down Rides

iStock/Thinkstock(JACKSON, N.J.) -- A power outage at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, New Jersey, forced parkgoers off rides Sunday.

Rides stopped during the incident, prompting crews to remove guests from the theme park attractions.

"All of our guests were safely unloaded from the affected rides within 20 minutes," Six Flags Great Adventure representative Kaitlyn Turi said in a statement.

Jersey Central Power and Light arrived to assess the source of the power outage.

Teams restored service to portions of the park as of 3 p.m. ET, followed by safety checks that allowed rides to resume operation.

In August, the park's Nitro roller coaster lost power on its ascent to the peak, forcing riders to walk down the tracks.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Subscribe To This Feed

Climate Change Activists Organize New York March Ahead of UN Summit

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- Activists say they hope for "a world safe from the ravages of climate change," as they plan a New York City march to draw attention to changing global weather patterns, two days before a United Nation summit meets to discuss the issue.

"Together, we'll take to the streets to demand the world we know is within our reach," organizers of the People's Climate March, the New York City event planned for Sunday, Sept. 21, wrote on their Facebook page.

"A world with an economy that works for people and the planet ... A world with good jobs, clean air, and healthy communities for everyone," they wrote.

The plan is for the march to assemble in New York City's Central Park the morning of Sept. 21 and move downtown along a two-mile route, according to the organizers.

The march is scheduled two days before a United Nations summit on climate change. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon will host the 2014 climate summit on Sept. 23. World leaders from governments and international environmental and business industries are expected to attend, according to the United Nations' website.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Subscribe To This Feed

Texas Cancer Doctor Accused of Poisoning Lover Heads to Trial

moodboard/Thinkstock(AUSTIN, Texas) -- The trial for a Texas cancer researcher accused of poisoning her jilted lover's coffee with a colorless and odorless chemical found in antifreeze begins Monday.

Dr. Ana Maria Gonzalez-Angulo allegedly poisoned fellow cancer researcher Dr. George Blumenschein, according to officials.

The breast cancer oncologist laced Blumenschein's coffee with ethylene glycol last year,  prosecutors say.

When Blumenshein told Gonzalez-Angulo he thought his coffee tasted "sweet," she allegedly told him it just was Splenda, according to court documents.

Blumenschein survived, but his attorneys told ABC News that his kidneys are severely damaged and that "he is not 100 percent and may never be 100 percent."

Gonzalez-Angulo has pleaded not guilty to charges of aggravated assault, but prosecutors say she is no stranger to violence.

They allegedly recorded her on the telephone claiming she had "people assassinated and that she takes care of things the Colombian way."

Prosecutors tried to submit the recording as evidence, but the tape will not be used in her trial.

Her attorney, Derek Hollingsoworth, told ABC News last year that his client is "completely innocent."

"She is a distinguished citizen and scientist, and these allegations are totally inconsistent with her personal and professional life," he said.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Subscribe To This Feed

North Carolina Girl Saves Family from House Fire Twice

iStock/Thinkstock(WINTERVILLE, N.C.) -- A North Carolina girl helped her family escape a fire at their home twice in a single day.

"It's fun being a hero," Sage, 7, told ABC affiliate WCTI.

Sage and family were at their home in Winterville, N.C., when a fire started in the the house Thursday evening, Winterville Fire Chief Johnathan Heltzel told WCTI.

The girl alerted her family of the fire and guided them to safety, Heltzel said.

"Talk about true hero, the day before the fire started she learned about evacuation drills and the importance of being able to dial 911 and getting everybody outside the structure," he said.

The fire then rekindled at about 3 a.m. Friday, destroying the residence.

Again, Sage helped her family escape their burning home.

The homeowner, Jack Weathersby, said his family will move on.

"This home, it's no longer home, it's rubble, it's stuff, it's going to have to be hauled off," he said. "There's memories that were made in this home, but we can make some more and I'm encouraged simply because we were all spared."

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Subscribe To This Feed

'Initial Evidence' Indicates Body Found Is Missing College Student

iStock/Thinkstock(BOONE, N.C.) -- Police in Boone, North Carolina, believe they have found the body of a missing Appalachian State University student who was last seen nearly two weeks ago.

A driver's license and university ID belonging to Anna Marie Smith were found near a body located in a wooded area near campus on Saturday, according to police.

Smith, a college freshman, was last seen on campus by her roommate on September 2, according to police.

The body was found after a tipster called police Friday and reported hearing screaming while jogging near the area a week ago, according to ABC News affiliate WSOC-TV in Charlotte, N.C.

A cause of death will be released upon completion of an autopsy.

Sheri Everts, the chancellor of the university, released a statement saying she was "deeply saddened" to share that the search for Smith "ended tragically."

"Having one of our own missing struck the Appalachian community very hard, and this very sad news is heartbreaking for us all," Everts wrote. "The loss of Anna will continue to weigh heavy on our hearts. I ask that we all join together to support and care for one another as we mourn."

Smith's parents said their daughter's cell phone, laptop and money were left behind when she disappeared.

Smith last contacted her family on Labor Day, writing them a Facebook message that simply said, "I love you."

Her parents helped organize search parties to comb through the Appalachian Mountains surrounding the school.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Subscribe To This Feed

Navy Suspends Search for Pilot in Fighter Jet Crash

U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Joshua Card/Released(SAN DIEGO) -- The U.S. Navy called off its search for a missing pilot on Saturday, one day after two fighter jets crashed in the Western Pacific.

Crews rescued one of the pilots Friday, but ended the efforts after searching for more than 36 hours. Using helicopters, surveillance aircraft, and four ships, teams were unsuccessful in locating missing pilot, who is presumed dead.

“This is an exceptionally difficult time for the friends and family of the missing pilot and the Navy community,” said Rear Adm. Christopher Grady, Commander, Carl Vinson Carrier Strike Group. “We are extremely grateful for the outpouring of support from the community. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by this tragedy.”

The two F/A-18C aircraft had launched from the flight deck of USS Carl Vinson and were in the process of heading to their initial stations when they collided approximately seven miles from the ship, officials said.

The cause of the incident remains under investigation.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Subscribe To This Feed

Pennsylvania State Trooper Killed, Another Injured in Shooting Outside Barracks

iStock/Thinkstock(BLOOMING GROVE, Penn.) -- Law enforcement agencies from three states are searching for the gunman or gunmen who ambushed two state troopers outside a barracks in a rural area of northeastern Pennsylvania, killing one and wounding the other.

The shooting happened outside the State Police Barracks in Blooming Grove, about 35 miles east of Scranton, just before 11 p.m. Friday, State Police Commissioner Frank Noonan told ABC News.

The incident occurred during a shift change, claiming the life of Cpl. Bryon Dickson and wounding trooper Alex Douglass. Douglass is in critical but stable condition following surgery, according to police.

Troopers from the eastern side of the state, as well as troopers from New York and New Jersey, are searching for those involved.

Police are offering a $20,000 reward for information leading to an arrest.

"It's a grave concern to us and we are putting every resource available to the Pennsylvania State Police or law enforcement in Pennsylvania in action," the commissioner said.

Officials did not have a description of the gunman or gunmen, but said they do not believe the public is in danger.


Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Subscribe To This Feed

Police Investigate Disappearance of Appalachian State University Freshman

iStock/Thinkstock(BOONE, N.C.) -- The parents of a college freshman are desperate to find their 18-year-old daughter who was last seen nearly two weeks ago.

Anna Marie Smith, a student at Appalachian State University, was last seen on campus by her roommate on September 2, according to police.

Smith's parents said their daughter's cell phone, laptop and money were left behind when she disappeared.

Smith last contacted her family on Labor Day, writing them a Facebook message that simply said, “I love you.”

According to Appalachian State University, police investigated reports that Smith had been sexually assaulted off campus before she disappeared. However, school officials said they had no evidence of the assault and no report was filed.

Her parents have helped organize search parties to comb through the Appalachian Mountains surrounding the school. On a Facebook page for the missing teenager, Smith’s mother, Laurie Smith, estimated her daughter could have traveled over 80 miles on foot, 200 miles by boat or be anywhere in the country if she hitched a ride in a car.

“Sometimes simple math can be scary,” Laurie Smith wrote on Facebook.

On campus, officials have organized a prayer walk and asked any students with information about Smith's disappearance to come forward.

"We need Anna to come home,” Laurie Smith said at a news conference. "She makes our hearts whole."

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Subscribe To This Feed

Woman Locates Newlyweds in 9/11 Photo Found in Rubble

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- The woman who worked 13 years to return a wedding photo found in the rubble of the World Trade Center after the 9/11 attacks is representative of "the best of humanity," said the man who will finally get back the photograph he'd had tacked to his cubicle wall.

Fred Mahe thought he'd never see the photograph again, after his office on the 77th floor of the second World Trade Center tower was obliterated in the Sept. 11 attacks.

But the photograph of him with his college friends at their wedding somehow survived the attacks and for the past 13 years a college professor named Elizabeth Stringer Keefe, who was given the photo by a friend who found it in the ash near Ground Zero, has tried to find its owners.

On every anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, Stringer Keefe posted the photo on social media sites or worked with friends to try and find the owner.

“Every year on #911 I post this photo hoping 2 return 2 owner. Found at #groundzero #WTC in 2001. Pls RT,” the Cambridge, Massachusetts, woman tweeted Thursday.

Mahe, a guest at the wedding who is seen facing the camera in the photo, contacted Stringer Keefe on Friday after a coworker sent him a story about the photo.

Mahe identified the couple as Christine and Christian Loredo, college friends of his who were married in Aspen, Colo.

In 2001 Mahe, now living in Colorado with his wife and two children, was still on his way to work when the attack started. The wedding photo -- taken just a few months earlier -- was tacked to his cubical wall.

Mahe told ABC News he felt there was special significance that he found out about the photograph the day after the anniversary of the attacks.

"On 9/11 I saw the worst of humanity, [but] on 9/12 I saw the best of humanity," Mahe said. "Elizabeth [Stringer Keefe] is 100 percent 9/12."

On Friday, after Mahe sent Stringer Keefe a message on Linkedin, the pair talked for the first time over the phone. Stringer Keefe told ABC News the pair had an emotional moment talking about the photograph and that she hopes they'll meet up soon.

Mahe said it is incredible that Stringer Keefe managed to be so persistent for so long in looking for the owners of the photograph. and that speaking to her over the phone felt like he was speaking to a good friend.

"The story is Elizabeth, the story is persistence and trying to help someone she didn't even know," said Mahe.

He said Stringer Keefe told him she kept the picture safe in her favorite Ernest Hemingway book.

Mahe also contacted Christine Loredo, the bride in the photograph, who said she felt the photo was a "great memento of resilience."

Loredo, now living near San Francisco with her husband, told ABC News the photos also brought back memories of being worried for Mahe after hearing about the attacks.

"It definitely brought tears to my eyes," she said.

Loredo was able to talk to Stringer Keefe and said she was struck by how dedicated the woman was to finding the owner of the photograph.

"I think it's nice to know that people out there care so much for strangers," Loredo said. "It gives me confidence in humanity."

Before Stringer Keefe connected with Mahe, the photo started gaining major traction on social media this year, getting retweeted more than 35,000 times and "favorited" more than 12,000 times.

Stringer Keefe came to inherit the photo from a friend she was visiting in New York City in October 2001, a month after the attacks.

"I visited New York City, the World Trade Center site and my friend Jennie, who lived in New York City at the time of attacks," she said. "She found the photo at Ground Zero in the days after the attacks, but was leaving New York City for a permanent move to California."

Her friend was about to move across the country, and she wanted to ensure that the photo was kept in good hands and with someone who would be "persistent" enough to try to track down the photo's original home, Stringer Keefe said.

"She gave it to me with the request that I do something meaningful with it," Stringer Keefe recalled. "There's so much beauty and happiness in the photo, and whatever relationship it had to 9/11, I wanted to care for it until I could return it to its owner."

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Subscribe To This Feed

NFL Star Adrian Peterson Indicted on Child Injury Charge

Photo by Ronald C. Modra/Sports Imagery/ Getty Images(HOUSTON) -- After a week full of discussion about the National Football League's suspension and handling of the Ray Rice situation, another of its players is facing legal issues.

Minnesota Vikings star running back Adrian Peterson was indicted on Friday on charges that he caused injury to a one of his children. A statement released by Peterson's lawyer's office acknowledged the charges, saying that the incident in question involved Peterson "using a switch to spank his son."

The Montgomery County Sheriff's Department in Texas said that Peterson has been cooperative in the case.

Peterson, who was in Minnesota with his team on Friday, has already testified about the matter in front of a grand jury, his lawyer Rusty Hardin said in a statement. Hardin said that "it is important to remember that Adrian never intended to harm his son and deeply regrets the unintentional injury."

The Vikings released a statement on Friday afternoon saying that they had opted to deactivate Peterson for Sunday's game.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Subscribe To This Feed

Escaped School Shooter TJ Lane Had 'Highest Level of Security'

Lima Police Department(CLEVELAND) -- Notorious school shooter T.J. Lane escaped an Ohio prison with two other inmates by scaling a barbed wire fence and crossing over the roof of the prison entry building despite being assigned "the highest level security grade," prison officials said Friday.

Lane, who was serving three life sentences for the massacre he carried out in February 2012 in Chardon, Ohio, was recaptured several hours later by a team of officers with dogs. He was only about 100 yards from the prison.

The Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction released a timeline of how Lane, 19, and the other two prisoners were able to break out of the Allen Oakwood Correctional Institution Thursday night.

The short-lived escape began at 7:38 p.m. when the group scaled the fence, which prompted the fence alarm to sound. Just seven minutes later, Ohio State Highway Patrol and local law enforcement were notified of the breach.

The three escapees were spotted by a prison staff member at 7:47 p.m. who ran after the inmates and apprehended one of them, 33-year-old convicted child killer Lindsey Bruce.

Lane was sniffed out by a police dog in a wooded area about 100 yards from the prison five hours later.

Corrections officials reported that the third escapee, Clifford Opperud, 45, was found hiding under a boat that was parked on a nearby residence. Police used a helicopter-mounted infrared camera with thermal imagery to determine where he was before sending a police dog to apprehend him.

The correction officers' guards union reported that administrators feared a break earlier this week after hearing on Wednesday that a different prisoner had an escape plan. The prisoner was put in special segregation and had previously been housed in the same unit as Lane, Opperud, and Bruce, the union said.

Lane gained notoriety for his shooting spree at Chardon High School in which three students were shot dead and three others wounded. At his sentencing, Lane shocked the victims' families and his own lawyer by unbuttoning his shirt to reveal a T-shirt with the word "killer" scrawled on it. He also spewed obscenities at the families and made an obscene gesture towards the families. When the judge sentenced him to three life sentences, Lane laughed.

His brief escape so alarmed the city of Chardon that the school district canceled classes and left the schools closed Friday except for those who may have wanted counseling.

The three convicts have now been sent to the Ohio State Penitentiary and will face new charges in connection to their escape though no further details have been released about the ensuing court dates.

Prison administrators appear to have had concerns about Lane.

"The severity of his crimes and threats that had been made against his life by other inmates led inmate Lane to be assigned the highest level security grade typically given to a first-time inmate, as well as a protective custody classification -- the same ratings assigned to Cleveland kidnapper/rapist Ariel Castro, also a first time inmate," read the Department of Rehabilitation and Corrections statement.

Castro had pleaded guilty to kidnapping and enslaving three women for more than a decade. He committed suicide in prison.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Lane had been disciplined seven times during his 18 months in prison. The incidents ranged from trying to give himself a tattoo twice to being reprimanded for urinating on a prison wall. He had recreation privileges taken away for a week or 10 days following each incident.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Subscribe To This Feed

Obama, Clinton Celebrate AmeriCorps' 20 Years of Service

Mark Wilson/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- President Obama and former President Bill Clinton joined forces at the White House Friday to celebrate the 20th anniversary of AmeriCorps and highlight the important role of service.

“Thank all of you for living a life of active and energetic and engaged citizenship, because it has made America stronger. You have made America stronger because of what you’ve done,” the president said at a White House ceremony where hundreds of eager young volunteers were sworn in for a year of service.

Clinton, who spoke first, called the program “one of the most important things I ever had a role in in public service.”

Since Clinton swore in the first AmeriCorps class 20 years ago on Friday, 900,000 people have volunteered more than 1.2 billion hours on working on projects across the country.

Making something of a political plug for his wife, the former president noted that a dedication to service is something he shares with the potential 2016 presidential candidate.

“[Hillary] campaigned across America with me in 1992 promising that we would create a national service program. She had participated in all kinds of community service. Her first job was with the Children's Defense Fund. She started a legal aid program in Arkansas at our university. We have lived this for a long time,” he said.

Obama, who started his career as a community organizer, said AmeriCorps’ mission is also personal.

“I would not be standing here if it were not for service to others and the purpose that service gave my own life,” he said. “The idea of making a difference in other people's lives made a difference in mine. It made me whole. Gave me center. Gave me a compass.”

Similar swearing-in ceremonies are taking place across the country Friday, with the help of two other former presidents. Former President George H.W. Bush is swearing in new volunteers in Maine and former President George W. Bush and former first lady Laura Bush recorded a video message for the events, which are kicking off a year of service for 75,000 volunteers.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Subscribe To This Feed

Two Navy Fighter Jets Crash in Western Pacific, One Pilot Missing

U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Apprentice Oscar Albert Moreno Jr./Released(SAN DIEGO) -- Two Navy F/A-18 fighters from the carrier USS Carl Vinson have crashed in the Western Pacific. One of the pilots has been rescued, but Navy ships and helicopters continue the search for the second.

The two carriers from the carrier USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) crashed at 5:40 p.m. local time, according to the Navy's Seventh Fleet. The carrier is operating in an area off Guam.

"The pilot of one of two F/A-18 Hornets that crashed...while operating from USS Carl Vinson is in fair condition and receiving medical treatment aboard the ship,” it said in a statement. “Search efforts continue for the second pilot.”

The F/A-18 fighter has a single-seater version, as well as a double-seater variant. The aircraft involved in this incident were single-seater F/A-18Cs.

Initial indications are that the two aircraft are assigned to Strike Fighter Squadron 94 (VFA-94) and Strike Fighter Squadron 113 (VFA-113).

The search for the second pilot includes guided-missile cruiser USS Bunker Hill (CG 52) and guided-missile destroyer USS Gridley (DDG 101) and helicopters assigned to Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 15 (HSC 15) and Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron 73 (HSM 73).

The cause of the incident is under investigation.

The carrier left its home port of San Diego on Aug. 22 to operate initially in the Pacific before moving on to a long-term deployment to the Persian Gulf where it would replace the carrier USS George HW Bush.

The F/A-18s aboard the Bush have been flying missions over Iraq for the past two months and were among the first U.S. aircraft to conduct airstrikes against ISIS targets in early August.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Subscribe To This Feed

Plane Passenger Detained over Ominous Hot Spot Names

Scott Olson/Getty Images(SEATTLE) -- A passenger was detained on a Southwest plane at Seattle-Tacoma Airport Thursday after using ominous names for his Wi-Fi hot spot, sources said.

Passenger Alayna Keagle said people became concerned after noticing strange and disturbing hot spot names emerge, such as “Southwest – Bomb on Board.”

Passenger Ken Saldi also noticed the odd hot spot names.

“He changed it to ‘the bomb is on this seat,’ and then he changed it to something about the stewardess being hot,” Saldi said. “And so that’s why once we found all that stuff out we realized he was probably just goofing off.”

Authorities didn’t take the threat lightly. The plane’s pilot pulled the 737 off to a side tarmac. Police cars surrounded the plane, and officers boarded the jetliner, detaining the man.

“With it being 9/11, we were all concerned there could be a real bomb on the plane,” Saldi said.

Passengers were pulled off the aircraft and all the bags were re-screened, with some being checked by dogs. Passengers were finally able to re-board the jet for the flight to Denver.

"They zeroed in on the guy really quickly," said passenger Joshua Mutart.

"I just hope he gets prosecuted to the fullest extent. That's kind of what I was thinking, just disrupting all the people on the flight," Mutart said.

Southwest said the captain made the call about the potential security threat, and that Southwest’s “highest priority is the safety and security” of passengers and employees.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Subscribe To This Feed

Drones Gets Waiver to Search for Missing Texas Woman Christina Morris

ABC News(WASHINGTON) -- A Texas search group has been given special permission to use drones to help find a woman who disappeared almost two weeks ago.

The first drone was launched Thursday over north Texas and was used to scour open fields for any sign of Christina Morris. Morris, 23, was spotted on surveillance footage Aug. 30 while walking with a friend in a mall parking lot.

Police haven’t released any leads in her disappearance.

The Federal Aviation Administration granted an emergency waiver allowing the searchers to fly drones for the next three days. The drones –- called “Super Bats” –- are equipped with high-resolution cameras that can snap up to 200 images every 10 minutes. The drone flights also cost about one-tenth of a helicopter covering similar ground.

Gene Robinson with the volunteer group Texas Equusearch said residents shouldn’t worry about privacy matters.

“We are not out to invade anyone’s privacy. Once these images are used, they are erased,” Robinson said. “We are looking for Ms. Morris.”

Searchers are examining the images of a 20-mile grid, looking for anything out of place.

Morris’ mother, Jonni McElroy, is thankful for the new eyes in the sky. She believes someone has her daughter and she’s hoping the high-tech drones can help bring her daughter home.

“I have that feeling in my heart, that she was taken and she is somewhere, and they still have her and it’s time to give her back,” McElroy said.

Watch more news videos | Latest world news

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Tune In Deals

Recent Tracks
Loading ...


Lost & Found Pets

Take Y107 with you!

Community Involvement
  • Angie Kaiser, Director of Zanesville Day Nursery being awarded $35,000 from Walmart Angie Kaiser, Director of Zanesville Day Nursery being awarded $35,000 from Walmart

EDGE Certification

LinkedUpRadio Envisionwise Web Services